Water is the important part of our day to day lives, plants and animals too. It plays a major role in the daily work activity such as bathing, washing dishes and clothes. Without water, we cannot live. It is the most common liquid on earth. Pure water has no smell, taste or color. Lakes, oceans, and rivers are made up of water. Water scarcity can mean scarcity in availability due to the physician shortage, or scarcity of access due to the failure of institutions to ensure a regular supply or due to a lack of adequate infrastructure. Water scarcity already affects every continent. Water connects every aspect of life. Access to safe water and sanitation can quickly turn problems into potential –unlocking education, work opportunities, and improved health for women, children, and families across the world.
Water shortage another name:
Another name for water shortage is Hydropower, Hydro energy, Aqua power, Super Mega Wet Sourcing.
Effects of water shortage:
- Not able to access drinking water: Due to water scarcity in areas people are unable to get fresh water.
- Hunger: If there is no water which can be used to help the crops grow then you are going to have people hungry.
- Lack of education: Water scarcity leads to lack of education which makes it difficult for people to get an education that they need or deserve.
- Diseases: If there is no access to clean water then there are major changes to get diseases from water that you have.
- Poverty: Everyone dealing with water scarcity are stuck in poverty as well.
- Sanitation: No access to clean water and there is no way to clean food utensils or people.
Causes of water shortage:
- Overuse of water: The overuse of water is the huge issue that many people are dealing with. It has been overused on people, animals, land or any other thing. It may also be used in activities without knowing the effects which may have on the world around.
- Pollution of water: Water pollution is the major problem especially in the areas looking where they don’t have a good sewage system. Pollution can be caused by anything which contains oil, to carcasses, to chemicals, and to fecal matter. It makes a lot of issue for the people who may be in need to use it.
- Conflict: If there are conflicts between people over a land or area it becomes difficult to have access to the water that is located there. It becomes even worst in the case scenarios, people could end up dying if they try to access the water in those areas (due to violence). It can result in many more issues which includes pollution.
- Distance: Water shortage people are dealing in a number of areas throughout the entire world because there is no water nearby anywhere.
- Drought: An area which is not getting rainfall to be able to maintain the life that is residing there. Some areas are in the never-ending change of drought where other areas deal with drought occasionally.
- Governmental access: The use of water may be strictly controlled by those in power, causing the scarcity in those located areas specifically those with dictatorships.
Measures to be taken to reduce water scarcity:
- Agricultural water productivity.
- Improvements in domestic and industrial water use.
- Irrigation planning.
- Reducing the rate of population growth.
- Desalination of seawater.
- Increasing water storage in reservoirs.