A GMO is termed as a genetically modifies organism. Organisms are the plants, animals, bacteria or viruses and genetically modified organisms are the organisms that have has their DNA changes using science. It is a laboratory process of taking genes from one species and inserting them into another to obtain a desired trait or characteristic. For example, scientists have actually taken DNA from a jellyfish and inserted it into the DNA of a pig. The result, A pig that could glow in the dark. Now GMO’s are mostly used in food products mainly in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables grow outside, and if the conditions are not perfect, they might not ripen enough to be picked and sold. Therefore, scientists have injected them with DNA traits to make these crops survive and stay fresh for longer, even in droughts which is when it doesn’t rain, and in very cold weather.
Why are GMO’s beneficial?
The GMOs are beneficial for the instance genetically altered seeds that deter insects and are beneficial because they allow crops to be grown without the threat of being destroyed by the pest. Gmo crops are developed with specific benefits in mind and both for the farmers who grow them and consumers who purchase them. Humans have been using plant breeding techniques to improve our food and crops for thousands of years. Human society is supported by its ability to produce sufficient food for the total population while at the same time not using up or degrading the capacity to continue to produce that amount of the food in the future.
Good facts about GMO’s:
- The biotechnology can be used to prepare food and make it more nutritious.
- GMO’s are tested and is safe for allergen potential before they go to the market for selling.
- It is among the most tested product in the history.
- GMO’s help in reducing the actual pesticide use.
- GMO’s may be the best bet to adapt for the change in global conditions.
Bad facts about GMO’s:
- Avoid GMO’s helps in contributing to the coming tipping point of consumer rejection, forcing them out of our food supply.
- GMO’s do not increase in yields and work against feeding a hungry world.
- GMO’s effects the environment.
- Genetic engineering creates dangerous side effects.
- GMOs increase herbicide use.
Facts about GMO’s:
- Some countries have taken an extreme stance against GMO’s.
- Some GMO’s may be good for the environment.
- The FDA does not have strict labeling for GMO’s.
- The world seed bank is supported by many in the biotechnology movement.
- Some of the claims against Monsanto are overblown.
- Many people mean something very different when they say they are anti-GMO.
- Neil Degrasse Tyson’s take on GMO’s.
- In a consumer poll, 80% of the people wanted mandatory labeling on the good with DNA.
- GMO’s have been around for a very long time.
- All of your apples are actually clones.