Child neglect is a form of abuse where the parents or other people fail to give their child proper attention which their children need. A neglected child may be malnourished, always sick, or never at school. Neglect comes in different forms such as physical and emotional, and more girls suffer than boys, with younger children neglected most. Child neglect is the basic child needs nowadays due to the lack of love care and attention they need from their parents. A child is left hungry or dirty without proper clothing, shelter and not looking after their medical or health care. A child is put in danger or not protected from physical or emotional harm. The child who is neglected will often suffer from the other abuse as well. Neglecting a child may cause serious and long-term damage or even death.
Causes of child neglect:
Now not every parent neglects their children purposely it is due to the effect that in their childhood they have gone through this themselves. Very young or inexperienced parents might not know how to take care of the babies or what can they expect from their children at different stages. Some situations place the families to stress such as poverty, divorce, sickness. Parents who take alcohol or other drugs are likely to abuse or neglect their children. It also may result in problems like a mental disorder, domestic violence, unemployment, unplanned pregnancy, and poverty. Child neglect is the form of child abuse with children born to young mothers at a risk for neglect.
As the parents fail to give the children the love, affection and care the children require. They are being neglected. A number of neglected children suffers from medical conditions, failure, and food disorder which in serious form may be life causing death. Many signs include dirty skin, personal body odor, unwashed, uncombed hair, unclean clothing, improper clothing that is not suitable for weather or situation.
Effects of neglecting a child:
The child may have some changes in themselves like being silent not responding to things and with a variety of difficulties and behavior depending upon when abuse they are experienced. Neglecting a child who needs all your love affection care and support and not even looking after them by physical mental or any other needs. This leads to having a serious and a long-lasting effect on the child. It may be anything from leaving the child home alone in important cases where a child dies from hunger or not giving the care they need. In some of the case, it may cause permanent disability. Neglect can be hard to identify.
Signs of neglect:
Consider the possibility of neglect when the child:
- The child is mostly absent from school
- Starts stealing, begging due to hungry
- Lack of medical or dental care
- The child smells constantly and is dirty
- Improper clothing due to weather
- Starts taking alcohol and drugs
- Always says there is no one at home to take care
Facts about child neglect:
- Approximately 5 children die every day because of child abuse.
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.
- Boys (48.5%) and girls (51.2%) become victims at nearly the same rate.
- 9 million cases of child abuse are reported every year in the United States.
- Children who experience child abuse and neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit a violent crime.
- About 80% of 21-year-olds who were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- 14% of all men and 36% of all women in prison were abused as children.