- Deforestation refers to cutting down of trees in huge amount. The plant is a very important part of our environment. Survival of human being is highly impossible without plants and wildlife.
It is a symbiotic relationship.
Deforestation means the action of creating a wide area of trees.
In CAMBRIDGE DICTIONARY, “ deforestation means the cutting down of trees in a large area or the destruction of forests by people.”
Deforestation brings a permanent end to forest life. Over the years there has been an enormous amount of cutting of forests reducing the percentage of green cover on earth. As per the survey and analysis conducted by UNITED NATIONS FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL ORGANIZATION, an estimated area of about 1.8 millions of acres of forest are lost each year.
- Facts about deforestation:
- Almost 30% of the earth’s land is cover with forests.
- It is predicted that within 100 years the rainforest will come to an end.
The prime reason for deforestation is agriculture:
- Every second almost one and a half acres of forest is cleared.
- About 12% to 17 % of annual global greenhouse gases is emitted by cutting of single forest.
- At the current speed of deforestation, it is believed by experts that there will be no rainforests left on earth within a century.
- Today’s rate of deforestation is equal to a loss of almost 20 football fields in a single minute.
- The availability of medicines in rainforests is more than 121 species in number. These medicines are capable to cure diseases that are deadly in nature.
- As per Rainforest Action Network, the United States has less than 5% of the world’s population yet consumes more than 30% of the world’s paper.
- Replantation of new ecology has become extremely impossible due to massive exploitation of forests.
- Nearly 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the vegetation in the Amazon forest.
- Due to deforestation about 28,000 species are about to extinct in next quarter of a century.
- About 20% of cancer-fighting herbs are found in forests like Amazon.
- In South America, Africa and South East Asia, every year 13 million hectares of forest are converted into agricultural land.
- About half of the world’s Tropical forests have already been cleared.
- Forest fires, bulldozers, machetes etc. every hour clears around 4500 acres of forests.
- The main reason for manmade deforestation is poverty, overpopulation, and unequal land.
- UP till date, there have been 7.3 million hectares of total world forest lost per year.
- 1.6 billion people across the globe are dependent on forest products for their livelihood.
- Europe, the United States, and Japan consume almost half of worlds timber and up to 70% of the paper.
- Industrialized countries consume 12 times more wood than non-industrialized countries.
- Trees consume carbon dioxide (CO2), Hence they are an important element of our ecosystem.
- There is a long list of consequences of deforestation and some of them are soil erosion, floods, wildlife extinction, increase in global warming and climate imbalance.
- Tropical forests hold almost 210 gigatons of carbon.
- To stop deforestation we should adopt the policy of REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE.
Deforestation is a serious issue today. we must show our love and affection and undertake serious steps to save our ecology.