Coral Reef Facts: Introduction, Meaning, About, Check Here

INTRODUCTION:

The life under the water is very beautiful. It not only comprises of underwater plants and animals but also includes rocks, structures, and underwater beauty. Coral reefs are beautiful and colorful underwater structures that are formed by natural deposition of some chemicals.

MEANING:

coral reefs can be simply explained as, a ridged structure of rocks formed by growth and deposit of coral. Rocky mound or ridges formed beneath the sea due to activities of living species and deposit of chemical like calcium carbonate. They are worlds most beautiful and colorful and diverse ecosystems, they also have a huge impact on the health of rest of the world.

FACTS ABOUT CORAL REEFS:

Coral reefs are not plants. They are actually animals and are in close relation with jellyfish and anemones.

PHOTOSYNTHESIS:

Coral poly relies on photosynthesis process for the production of their food. But in reality, coral polyps do not actually carry out photosynthesis process. There are many microscopic algae and zooxanthellan lining the digestive system of corals, Coral polyps actually depend on the symbiotic relationship for their food. Like this, they almost get 90% of their food. But the remaining 10% is obtained from fishing rather hunting which it does by extending its tentacles so as to catch prey.

MICROPLASTIC LOVER:

A new research in 2017 shows that coral reefs prefer microplastics over sand or fishes.

HIGHLY DIVERSE REGION:

It is believed that the region of coral reefs has a very great variety of biodiversity on earth. This may be because of availability of food, shelter, favorable conditions, finding of mates and place for reproduction.

Nursing place:

Due to favorable conditions, coral reefs are also believed to be a nursing home for small fishes until they grow big.

  • There are about hundreds and thousands of species found in and around coral reefs.

Medicinal benefits:

Scientists have found that coral reefs can be beneficial for treating serious illnesses like cancer, heart diseases, arthritis, Alzheimer etc.

Economical benefits:

As coral reefs are a most beautiful region of seabed due to its vibrant colors and structure, it has also become a matter of economic gain. Many tourists visit these places to enjoy this natural beauty hence, generating huge economy for the state.

  • There are mainly three types of reefs; fringing reefs, barrier reefs, and atolls.
  • An Atoll reef is often confused with islands but it is actually a reef.
  • Barrier reefs are called as a barrier because of its protective nature. Barrier reefs protect the shallow water from the open sea.
  • Although coral reefs are generally referred to as one body it is actually a region where we can find a variety of species living together.
  • Fishing: Coral reefs are also important for fishing purpose. A special species of fish called as bait fish is found mainly around coral reefs, which is used for fishing tuna and other large fishes.

Natural filter:

Natural filter

Scientists believe that due to its vast diversity, coral reefs are helpful infiltration of marine water.

  • Coral reefs generally grow in that part of seabed where there are stronger wave patterns and wave currents. Because of this factor, there is more food available near the coral reefs, as stronger wave currents bring with it a large amount of food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *