Overweight is generally the body mass index. It is difficult to develop one simple index for the measurement of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents because their bodies undergo a number of physiological changes as they grow. Depending on the age, different methods to measure a body’s healthy weight are available. Overweight refers to increased body weight in relation to height beyond the accepted standard. Obesity is defined as an excessively high amount of body fat or adipose tissue in relation to lean body mass. Being obese means that body fat is now beyond an accepted standard for your height.
- Diabetes, a disorder where the pancreas is not producing enough or sometimes not any insulin. Diabetes can lead to a whole host of other medical issues and obesity is one of the main causes.
- Cancer has many different forms and types; many of them could be prevented with more attention to eating healthily and avoiding obesity.
- Congestive heart failure is a condition in which your heart can’t pump enough blood to your body’s other organs.
- An enlarged heart is another heart condition where the muscle of your heart becomes larger due to being overworked, which naturally happens if you are overweight.
- Fatty liver disease is a reversible condition in which large pockets of fat accumulate in liver cells.
- Stroke is caused by a lack of blood supply to your brain.
- Obesity can cause day-to-day health problems such as:
- Increased sweating.
- Inability to cope with sudden physical activity.
- Feeling very tired every day.
- Back and joint pains.
- Low confidence and self-esteem.
- Feeling isolated
Overweight can be caused by various factors.
- Lack of Sleep
- Leptin Resistance
- Junk and Fast Food
- Other Health Conditions
- Certain Medications
- Sedentary Lifestyle
Among the top causes of these two conditions, however, is the hugely popular fast food that the country is currently (and it seems, perpetually munching on. Unhealthy snacks are rampant in today’s society because they are easily accessible and cheap. Apparently, only a few people are willing to take time from their busy lives to whip up something healthy themselves