Natural gas is one of the most significant fuels consumed by people. Natural gas reserves are rooted deep inside the earth. Like any other fuels even natural gas has it two sides of coins.
A mixture of gases rich in hydrocarbons is called natural gas. Methane is the primary component of natural gas along with high amounts of alkanes. Other chemicals present in natural gas are carbon-di-oxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide and a small amount of helium. Natural gas can be used in its pure form. For consumption of natural gas, it is converted into the different shape.
Pros and Cons of natural gas:
Like all other gases even natural gas has its uses and misuses. As natural gas is a part of fossil fuels it necessary merit is easy to use, and demerit is environmental pollution. Here is the list of pros and cons of natural gas:
- Plenty of supply: Reserves of natural gas are in abundance and are available in almost every country in the world.
- Extraction process: The techniques and means to extract natural gas are already available as it is similar to that of other fossil fuels like coals and petroleum. With the advance in technology extraction of natural gas has become simpler today.
- Cheaper and more effective: Natural gas vehicles and installation of natural gas in cars are less expensive than other duels. Natural gas is also used in houses for cooking purposes.
- Transportation: Natural gas is lighter and more comfortable to transport from one place to another. Ships, tanks or pipelines can easily carry it.
- Other benefits: Natural gas is also used in the production of plastics, chemicals, fertilizers, and hydrogen.
- Less pollutant:
Consumption of natural gas causes less pollution as compared to other fuels. It produces 45% less pollution than coal and 30 % less pollution than oil. Its ill-impact on the environment is very less.
Natural gas is non-renewable energy. Its reserves are limited and hence will extinct one day. It is not sustainable energy.
- Highly inflammable:
Natural gas is highly flammable due to the presence of methane and butane. Its use is likely to cause lousy fire breakout, in case of any leakage. Natural gas is colorless, odorless and tasteless because of these peculiarities it is more challenging to identify the presence of natural gas in the air.
- Greenhouse gas:
Use of natural gas emits a significant amount of greenhouse gases, which is responsible for global warming.
- Difficult to handle and use:
To use natural gas its other components needs to be extracted. In this process, several other by-products like carbon-di-oxide, hydrocarbons, water vapor, helium, and nitrogen are releases, which causes more pollution.
- Expensive to transport and install pipelines:
For transportation and installation of naturals gas equipment’s used are long pipelines, individual tanks, and separate pipeline channel, all these increases to the cost of using natural gas. Also repairing and fixing any leakage in pipes and tanks adds-up to the value, making it costlier than other sources of energy.